Larger Screens Update

Damian

Damian, Damian--your first post in the forum is the hardest question of all to answer. :wacko:

Seriously--we're working on it. There are a group of R&D hardware guru chained to their desks, plugging away, and I stop by there often to see how it's coming along...and it is, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Now, for a little preemptive action--yes UDFBs are STILL on the list. :P

Damian, Damian--your first post in the forum is the hardest question of all to answer. :wacko:

Seriously--we're working on it. There are a group of R&D hardware guru chained to their desks, plugging away, and I stop by there often to see how it's coming along...and it is, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Hi Cara,

I was looking more for something along the lines of "It's still in design phase and a long ways out" or "It is in the release phase and they are working on the machinery modifications to manufacture them". If you are still in R&D phase it sounds as though we are still at least a year away.

Now, for a little preemptive action--yes UDFBs are STILL on the list. :P

What's a UDFB?

B)

Emil is right; it is at an advanced stage, and looking good. ;)

Damian--duck! Lemon meringue :rolleyes:

First post in the new forum and I'm already getting pied.

Looks like I've done a great job of making a reputation for myself.

And Emil, ok. You have six months to push the larger screens through. I'm putting you in charge.

• MVP 2014

Apart from more 'real estate' for the HMI, are there any particular features you are looking for in a larger screen?

Cara,

Well the larger size is the main benefit, either to fit more items on the screen, or make the controls bigger for gloved hands, etc.

Other wish list items:

• nice thick glass and rigid bezel.
  • at least 800x600 pixel resolution.
  • more than 9 colours for 3D screen objects
  • ability to set it up as a remote screen to another Unitronics PLC (like a PLC-based version of Remote Access - requiring no specific programming). Possibly have a special version with lower cost "hobbled" hardware to support this (eg, no snap or expansion I/O port, less memory, etc, so it can't be used as a stand-alone PLC).

Seriously-I'm curious, no pies :blink:

Apart from more 'real estate' for the HMI, are there any particular features you are looking for in a larger screen?

Have any of you been using such displays--do you have a preference, among manufacturers?

Just size Cara.

1) My customers want larger screens. No seriously, they just want them. Just because something isn't needed doesn't mean it isn't wanted. (ie people don't need 50inch LCD TVs either. I say "give the people what they want"

2) It is quicker and easier to develop for larger screens. The smaller the screen the more time I have to spend (fitting, sizing, nudging, strategizing and compromising) to get the job done. The more I have to bust up into smaller screens, the more work it is for me. Same for the operators. If you bust things up into a gazillion screens, the more time they have to waste "hunting" for what they are looking for.

3) The larger the screen, the larger I can make the buttons and numeric fields. This decreases the chance that somone with "fat fingers" will accidently press the "Pie Eject" button when they really meant to push the "Bake Crust" button.

Below is a screen shot of a "canned" manual servo axis screen I developed. It is a very busy screen. There is more I would like on it, but there just wasn't enough room. (ie. would have liked to have staus of limit and home switches, text fields to indicated any faults, Fine and Coarse Jog buttons, etc.). Sure I could put these on another screen. But it really belongs on the same screen. Sure I could have made some things smaller, but I don't want the user to feel like they are playing the game "operation" and trying to hit the fields with the tip of their finger nails.

screenshotww.png

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

:)Hi guys ,

The V1040 Big Screen Vision will be available during Q1, 2011.

(A perk of working in R&D--I've just been playing with one. It's cute :P )

Oh NO! Anything but cute!!

Will it have any new features or will it strictly be a V570 with a bigger screen?

Need a BETA tester??

:)Hi guys ,

The V1040 Big Screen Vision will be available during Q1, 2011.

(A perk of working in R&D--I've just been playing with one. It's cute :P )

So.......When will you folks be releasing a pricing structure? We will still use the V570 because they fit in the double DIN dash openings found in most trucks now, but we have had many of our current V570 users want a larger display outside the vehicle. Also, besides Q1, what is the estimated availability?

Guest gsxr1000au

10" is hardly "BIG" screen. Definately moving in the right direction but to keep up with other HMI panels I would be more impressed if you were releasing a range of scren sizes up to 19"

;)