• MVP 2023

It could certainly be implemented with the Protocol block, but it won't get any traction from the Creators unless a large user wants it.  I have personally not seen an industrial do-dad that supports this protocol, but that's just me.

The Internet of Things makes me very nervous and I tend to pooh-pooh it.  The sales presentations I've looked at always show a nebulous "application in the cloud" that ties everything together. 

Having once implemented an internet-based tank monitoring system, I learned that in a corporate/industrial setting the IT department will do almost everything in it's power to block you.  You absolutely have to set up a remote server and throw all your data over port 80.

Then you have to support it for years for little or no revenue and you may or may not be able to hang on to your internal people who know how it works.

Look up the Amazon reviews on the Nest Thermostat, one of the original IoT devices.  It has a five star rating of 58%.  Which means it mostly works.  

Mostly.

Joe T. 

• Upvote 2

Hello Joe,

thx for your respond.

In my application i use the V350 on mobile devices, they all collect datas and I want to share them to the customers, thats why I'm thinking about IoT.

So there should be a Website, where the customer can see the data from the Units.

If the V350 can connect to an SQL database in the net,  this would be the best solution. But this only works for the UniStream.

I've tried to connect to a Server port, this works, but then you need server side scrips to bring the data into a MYSQL database. 

What do you mean is the simplest way to do the Job?

KR

Thomas

• MVP 2023

You will need a central server to collect data from your V350s via Modbus.  Do you have modems on your mobile devices?

Your central server will handle stuffing the data in the SQL database, too.

Have you done anything with your server application yet?  There are some SCADA packages in the US that do this.  What country are you in?

Joe T.

• 1 year later...

Hi Thomas, Joe,

I'm also interested how to send messages to an MQTT broker and received subscriptions.

Of course this can be done with small devices to control domo things, but I can see many applications that required a PLC to control directly as V350, and send some basic info. high level where reliability is not a must having the information in real time to query that topics from smart devices.

I would not manage setpoints, or activite critical functionality from the cloud, so certain I can be agree with Joe, but we don't need to create a complex infrastructure to publish some data to have them available for upper management or high level alarms just for info and not to act.

I had a look to the MQTT protocol and being agree can be done with the Protocol block it is not so evident and required some time to built.

Any examples that you can share if you already progressed on that concept?

Thanks.

Marcos. 

• 2 years later...

I have done exactly that. We migrated to the Unistream Family. I must say I love it and all future machinery will be equipped with Unistream. However we have hundreds of V350s running in the field and it would be great if I could easily connect them all to my existing broker system with a simple off site software update. Replacing so many PLCs is costly. Not just the price of the hardware, but sending a tech ( likely me ) to all the sites to change out good hardware just isn't realistic.  1 to 3 PLCs per site spread all over the US and Canada. 

If anyone has successfully created a method to connect Vision Family hardware to an MQTT broker Please do share.  Unfortunately as much as I have done and learned thanks to this Forum and Joe I feel this task is beyond something I can do on my own.