Jazz JZ20-J-R16-Y database

kratmel

• MVP 2023

Hi everyone

I retrofited old high power UV lamp control system. Jazz  PLC installed and programmed. User need only 3 timer for change on display.

Now user need up to 20 different program with 3 edited parameters (timers).

I found sample code file Programmer 10x10.U90  for M91 OPLC. And try to download it to Jazz JZ20-J-R16-Y (Changed M91 to Jazz  in hardware configuration).

Looks like sample code work fine (all parameters in all programs is present after power off).

After that i found in U90 ladder help: "Jazz controllers do not offer a Database".?????

What i must do now:

- Make database in ladder;

- Try to use "not offered Database"?

Maybe Jazz 2 has some  M91 "hidden" function...

Any ideas?

• MVP 2023

I don't work with Jazz often enough to know the answers.

But....if the sample code worked ok for you on your Jazz trial, then stick with the concept offered and do your variations.  If it works, it works.

Or....can't you just use the MIs method?  I often think using a database is actually far more complex than simply referring to a single MI, or a vector of them.  It all depends how complex things are.

cheers,

Aus

• MVP 2023

2 useful topics on this come up in an index search in U90Ladder help for database. 

Keep in mind that however you "implement" a DB, if your user "fine tunes" their system by modifying those values in the plc, they are not permanently saved.  If you have a battery fail, you're in trouble.  Try and implement a regular periodic read and storage of all the values involved, or periodically update all the startup values to match what is current, or give them a notebook to write things in!

cheers,

Aus

• MVP 2023
7 hours ago, Joe Tauser said:

So are you saying that you downloaded the program and there is indeed a database in the Jazz?

Yes,

I try to do some check, U90Ladder do not offer database future for Jazz  (See pic.)

But sample code Programmer 10x10.U90  works fine.

Programmed in database numbers stored and restored into MI0-MI9 correctly (See sample project code form help).

In  online monitor  SB40 SB41 is changed when i try to change program number or settings for different parameter.

I try to check approx 10х100=1000 database memory integers and post result in topic. 

database_Jazz2.JPG

• MVP 2023
40 minutes ago, Ausman said:

Keep in mind that however you "implement" a DB, if your user "fine tunes" their system by modifying those values in the plc, they are not permanently saved.  If you have a battery fail, you're in trouble.  Try and implement a regular periodic read and storage of all the values involved, or periodically update all the startup values to match what is current, or give them a notebook to write things in!

Thank you Ausman

I tried to implement database and found the hidden features of Jazz2 :)

That is, if the employee does not know about the saved settings, he enters 4 settings manually in the main menu ...

I try to create the program in such a way that the Database is only a way to restore the parameters for the worker who forgot them or do not know where to read them.
That is, if the parameters go beyond the limits when the system is turned on - the system writes the standard values to the main menu and says that the standard values are loaded.
If the employee needs to find some of the saved programs - he can look at them and choose.
That is, if data in the database is lost then this is a small problem.
I solve it with a sticker on the machine
cabinet  where I print all the tuned constants.

I agree that using a feature that is not officially announced by the manufacturer may cause the data storage or another problem.
It would be nice if this feature becomes standard for Jazz2 (+1024MI  bonus)
Therefore, we will assume that I use it at my own risk.

• MVP 2023
1 hour ago, kratmel said:

I try to check approx 10х100=1000 database memory integers and post result in topic

Don't forget that you can use Excel for these DB numbers.  That might make checking 1024 numbers very easy if you just do a sequential filldown.

It would be nice/interesting to get an "official" comment about this from the creators.

cheers,

Aus

• MVP 2023

10х100=1000 database memory integers tested.

It's works!!  I try to enter 0...32767 in different positions of database. Power off is tested - all numbers stay on his position.

Load blank project -->> power off --->> load 10x100 project again  -- database still present.

But only ladder make possible to see this database. U90Ladder not support it for Jazz2 :(

• MVP 2023
8 hours ago, kratmel said:

Load blank project -->> power off --->> load 10x100 project again  -- database still present.

So was the database still present after loading the blank project?  Or was it only present after reloading your 10x100 project again?

8 hours ago, kratmel said:

But only ladder make possible to see this database.

So it looks like some functions relating to database work, but not all?

cheers, Aus

• MVP 2023
2 minutes ago, Ausman said:

So was the database still present after loading the blank project?  Or was it only present after reloading your 10x100 project again?

Data structure is ladder configured (Like in M91).  Data from project once loaded to database is present like 1000 hidden MI.

If i load different project (like 10x10 structure)  - data present but it was in different places.

after load 10x100 project - data present in right place.

7 minutes ago, Ausman said:

So it looks like some functions relating to database work, but not all?

Only software download-upload  function for Jazz2 is not active (not supported). Please see on picture.

But all PLC related database  function works like on M91 PLC. 

Now my project is tested.  I use database sample from help and add some ladder for machine control. Now i use only 10x3 database.

If user need more program only some ladder (database size) is need to be changed.

I will try to install Jazz2 on machine and test it in real process on Monday.