"Run-time error : '53' " occurs when i work on any of my Visilogic projects

Hi everyone,

I have been working on several projects for my company, on an old VisiLogic 9.3.1 version. So far, i was able to work without any issue, until recently, when "Run-time error : 53" message has begun to show up.

I get this message when

i try to copy/paste elements or nets in my ladder

- i delete elements or nets in my ladder

- i try to download my project to the PLC

The error shows up when i do these actions like 3 - 4 times after opening my project. After the error occurs, i need to reopen my project (it shows the "recover" message when visilogic is opening and it brings me back to my last operation when visilogic crashed).

My lines of thought : 

1) It may be due to my project which is corrupted, so i tried to open another one.           ==> Same result, application crashed again.

2) It may be due to my VisiLogic installation, so i tried uninstall/install clean.                     ==>Same result, application crashed again.

3) It may be due to my VisiLogic version which is too old for my Microsoft Windows 10 version. I tried installing VisiLogic 9.5.0 version, it crashed again... and i don't know how to go back to an old windows 10 build.

4) It turns out a collegue of mine encountered the same issue on another computer, a couple of days after me, on a Windows 10 computer as well. So i suspect a Windows 10 update to corrupt my VisiLogic installation.

I'm afraid i don't have any other solutions for now, that's why i'm asking for your help ! You may have an idea on this topic, and it would be nice to solve this problem together so that it can benefit to other people who encounter this error message (because i have found nothing on internet about this specific error so far)

Thanks in advance,

Sideway.

• MVP 2023

I think your reasoning is sound.

It's not uncommon for the un-announced Win 10 updates to cause Visilogic problems.  Google "uninstall Windows update" to get instructions to roll Win 10 back and see if that helps.

My Visilogic programming computer that travels with me is running Win 7 and I purposely never update it.  I realize this may not be a viable solution for a lot of people. 

I'm personally using Visilogic 9.8.65 for most projects, as that seems to run well in Win 10 on my desktop computer.  Give that a try.

Joe T.

• MVP 2023

+1 to all of Joe's comments which are perfectly correct.  There are often references on the forum to W10 updates breaking things that work perfectly, all in the name of "progress" or "security".  I'm also sticking with 8.65 and it is still ok for me at present, but I don't let W10 do auto updating.

One thing you might need to end up doing is a virtual system running an older Win version.   initial background......For long use on something older that W10 dislikes, I have my main PC's drives set up as caddy's with pushbutton individual drive power switching capability.  This way I can easily change between known good/older OS and disc combinations without affecting my "normal working" W10 environment which has storage drives permanently mounted internally.   Now the virtual bit!......However, for an occasional foray into older stuff without changing any caddy's etc I have also got a virtual XP system installed using Oracle's VirtualBox.  I have 2 versions, one with SP2 and the other with SP3.  They work perfectly well, and communicate correctly with everything.

It wasn't that hard to do, and has made life much easier.  If you want to, you can plonk every Windows version in it...not just XP!

cheers, Aus

Hi, 

First of all thank you for your kind answers ! I have tried using the version 9.8.65 of VisiLogic on my computer, and the "Run-time error :53" seems to be gone with this software version. I am also setting up a Virtual machine (Oracle VirtualBox) as you advised, to be able to run older versions of VisiLogic on a W7 virtual computer. I don't know if it will work for me yet, as i never used VM before, it will be a first time for me :)

Now, a question remains : I currently own projects on my VisiLogic 9.3.1. How can i get a proper migration from this version to 9.8.65, without corrupting my project files ?

Actually, I already tried to open a 9.3.1 file with a 9.5.0 version of the software and it ruined my file, i was not able to use it afterwards on both versions of the software (even the 308 backup file generated was not working properly : VisiLogic happened to crash when opening the backup)

So I am a bit afraid of opening an old-version project with a newer version of the software...

Thank you,

Sideway.

• MVP 2023

Sideway, please have a read of this topic:

In particular, scroll down to my post 4th from the top for more detailed info.

Lastly, it just occurred to me to ensure that you installed the program using run as admin.  See here:

https://forum.unitronics.com/topic/7917-visilogic-doesnt-work-properly-after-installation-what-install-as-administrator-really-means/?do=findComment&comment=33198

If you didn't do this then perhaps try everything suggested.

cheers, Aus

Hi Ausman,

EDIT *******************************************

I did the manipulation you advised in your second link : 

The checkbox "Run as admin" within the Compatibility tab was not checked. So i checked it and VisiLogic 9.3.1 seems to be working fine on Windows 10 ! Problem solved for me 😃 Thank you a lot for your help ! (I think i will migrate to 9.8.65 for my future projects, to be sure i do not run into such troubles again ;)

Sideway.

/EDIT *******************************************

I have already gone through the topic you pointed out ;)

Actually,  when the "Run-time error : 53" occured for the 1st time,  i installed several versions of VisiLogic under my "Unitronics" folder : versions 9.3.1, 9.5.0 and 9.8.65. I installed these versions one by one, copying the "unitronic_visilogic_C" folder and renaming it for each version(i followed the "Help" guide of the Version Swapper). I also carefully launched the setups as admin, since it could be a source of future errors...

After installing these, i tried swapping versions (using the swapper of the 9.8.65 version since it is the most recent one)  and opening a copy of my project. It turned out that my project was crashing on the 9.8.65 version (maybe due to incompatibility). Then, I tried opening my project on the 9.5.0, which resulted in the same error as in the 9.3.1 ==> "Run-time error : 53".

I will try to work onto the Virtual Machine this afternoon (thus see if the run-time error occurs again on the virtual machine), after i  finish to download my windows 7 disk image file :)

Sideway.

Edited by Sideway
Solution found

• MVP 2023

That's all good.  Keep in mind that with all this installing/uninstalling you could be getting leftover reg entries etc that are having detrimental effects on total operations.  I strongly suggest you use the likes of Revo to do in-depth uninstalls of everything, then do manual deletes if you find anything else....which would be unlikely using Revo, then start again.   Or even perhaps go back to a restore point that had fewer installs.  Not what you want to hear, but likely worth the trouble.  I'd only really be doing the virtual machine as a last resort, if you don't have any other need for it...like I do for many older programs that no longer run properly. 

Useless Side note.....I have such old PLC programming programs that I often need to use DOSbox!  Some  of my machines are still going on the original equipment installed in the early 90s.

cheers, Aus

Ok, I take note of all that. Since i found a solution to my issue, I may now clean the mess i made in my computer the last couple of days 😂 

I may keep the VM however as it may be useful as a server for some of my other activities ;)

I didnt know about Revo, is that a kind of CCleaner-like tool ?

Thank you again for the support,

Kindly,

Sideway.

• MVP 2014

FWIW I've approach the versions and compatibility question from a few different angles over the years.  At one stage I had a large number of swapper versions installed.  I've also seen plenty of messes that happened when losing track of which swapper version is currently the registered version.  I now tend to uninstall and reinstall versions if I swap, partly because it's not as often as it once was.

As far as problems with upgrading files is concerned, keep at least 2 backups.  That way if one gets munched by a glitch, you can take a copy of the second (or third...) backup.  In my experience it's rare for programs to be destroyed with a Visilogic version upgrade.

From a support point of view, I usually update windows, so that i am familiar with any issues that creates.  Run as Administrator is definitely one thing to always remember, and also the User Account Control setting.

Simon

25 minutes ago, Simon said:

I've also seen plenty of messes that happened when losing track of which swapper version is currently the registered version.

I follow Flex's advice of putting the different version Icons in a row, then moving the Swapper Icon under the currently registered version Icon, saves a lot of headaches....

https://forum.unitronics.com/messenger/2013/

• MVP 2023
23 minutes ago, John_R said:

I follow Flex's advice of putting the different version Icons in a row, then moving the Swapper Icon under the currently registered version Icon, saves a lot of headaches....

https://forum.unitronics.com/messenger/2013/

I suspect no one else can access that link since it was a PM. Here is the screen cap from that message thread:

image.png.4083d9e217b1f8ea05c5047bf9d665da.png

You can also see that I have two copies of some of the versions. Whenever I need to have two instances of VisiLogic running (to compare projects, etc), I add a second copy.

• MVP 2023

In line with Simon's comments about uninstall/reinstall for swapping, I think it would be perfectly feasible to effectively do this with a virtual system.  I know this is getting away from the fundamental purpose and usability of Version Swapper, but in some instances it would likely be much less of a headache.  The real advantage of any virtual system is that it is effectively permanent, ready to go.

I haven't tried, but can't see why there would be hiccouphs with a whole variety of versions, each as a virtual.

Edit later.  I just tried 9.3.1 into my XP SP3 version and it all appears to be working fine, and hasn't upset the normal usage at all.   All good food for thought!

cheers, Aus

• MVP 2023

Further to the above, I can actually see real advantages using virtual in some instances.  The main one would be those times where you want to copy some code from an older program without going through all the rigmarole, and possible issues, of doing so in a newer version running as a double instance.  (And I know you can simply work with a copy to not affect the original...it's a personal call type thing)

This way you can effectively have 2 (or more) instances open, but they can be different versions. ie say virtual is 9.3.1 and real is 9.8.65.  This is a significant advantage.   I tried it in depth last night and it all worked fine.  It is possible to set up clipboard and cut/paste throughput, but you are still bound by the normal limitations on such operations that Visilogic has always done.   Import/export subs works as usual.  In my case I don't use clipboard or cut/paste, I only use transfer via a plugged usb stick which you alternate between the systems.  A bit cumbersome, but it retains a distinct "separation" between the two.

Virtuals have come a long way from when they first started.  Although I use them regularly, it is easy to forget the advantages they can give and the ease with which it can be done these days.  Gone are the times where they were nothing but headaches.   Indeed, I have often pondered the merits of fundamentally changing my systems to Tim's thoughts on the following pages.  Keep in mind that he wrote it in 2011.

https://forum.unitronics.com/blogs/entry/67-thoughts-on-linux/

Hmmmmm!

cheers, Aus

• 3 weeks later...