Thermal image

Isakovic

• MVP 2023

It looks like V200-18-E3(or4)XB.  Two DC/DC converter on the upper side of V200. It is normal temperature for this type of converter.

Inside V700 in normal condition approx 7W of heat power is generated.  1.5A ---- 24/5V ---- compact DC/DC installed near power supply inlet.

From known manual's  if IP67 box is used - internal volume must be 9x bigger then volume of installated equipment inside, or input-output fans must be installed.

High temperature is "standard" in modern equipment (This is not good, but there is no other way) . Main problem is not temperature value (no electrolitic capacitors inside V700), but temperature cycling that is destroyed lead free BGA chip installation.

• MVP 2023

I'd love to know what SI 14 is telling you, though you would need to calculate it using SB 14 in ladder first.

I like to have a screen on most of my projects that includes PLC temperature, scan time, and other misc info that could be useful for troubleshooting.

Controller itself has no problems, picture was taken out of curiosity during an inspection.

7 minutes ago, Flex727 said:

I like to have a screen on most of my projects that includes PLC temperature, scan time, and other misc info that could be useful for troubleshooting.

I never used system memory for temperature measurement. What is a typical temperature that you get on PLCs?

11 hours ago, Flex727 said:

I'd love to know what SI 14 is telling you, though you would need to calculate it using SB 14 in ladder first.

I´ve used it and not always gives too much information about how hot is the snap.

• MVP 2023

Isak, it would be an interesting exercise to use some double sided thermal adhesive tape to attach some finned heatsinks (running vertically) to the hot areas to see what happens.  Given that thermal differentials are the issue Kratmel is talking about, in theory lessening them would increase life.

Thermal imaging is great stuff, but sometimes makes you jump unnecessarily if your system essentially averages the screen.  That "hot spot" might turn out to only be a few degrees higher!   Your FLIR gives you the bar graph reference....mine sadly doesn't but it's likely a bit older!  But it's still a really useful tool.

And Kratmel, no doubt you have delved and found exactly where the SI14 temp comes from.  The main chip's innate reading?  Somewhere else on the board?  I've never actually looked for it on a 130.

cheers, Aus

• MVP 2023
42 minutes ago, Flex727 said:

I don't believe a V130 actually has a temp sensor.

If TC input present in configuration - we can find temperature sensor inside V130 (and other plc type or I/O).

3 hours ago, Ausman said:

where the SI14 temp comes from. 

Good quastion, i must to do some home work with PLC on my cave :)

Some experiments i try to do in 2019... but only V1040 present on table at that time

• MVP 2023
40 minutes ago, Flex727 said:

Perhaps the Help file needs updating?

Probably not. There is no temperature reading in PLC V130 online SI14=0.

Although the temperature sensor is exactly on the board, but it is probably used for another purpose - to compensate for the temperature of the TC cold junction during measurement.

Experimental result update:

There is no PLC temperature SI14 readings in V130.

But if we sw ON any of TC input  in SI15 appear temperature readings from internal TC cold junction sensor.

I try different combination - if any onboard TC sensor is activated - SI15 show temperature in 0.1C (I tried to serve hot and cold air - the reaction is adequate).

If no TC is active - SI15=0

• MVP 2023

And I should add that I've never used it.  Likely because on the models I use it doesn't exist!  But interesting that it is there in a different way on anything with t/couple ability. 

Scrnshot from one of my sites this morning.   Also interesting that it shows as active via the tick.

SI14.jpg.f1a97454ed5e98c735c3c526f601f03b.jpg