I have an SM-J-RA22 controller with ethernet adaptor and having failure to “download all&burn”

Hi

I have an SM-J-RA22 controller with ethernet  adaptor and having failure to “download all&  burn”. I have always been able to down load via serial or ethernet connection but today when I tried to do a  “ download all&burn “ it gets half way through the down load it it looses communications  . I have tried this on ethernet connection and then tried again with a serial connection and got the same result.  Each time the de play would stay on the Unitronics logo and I have to drop power to the PLC and restart it to get the HMI working again. It did allow me to do basic down load successfully.

I would appreciate any advise someone can supply on what the problem may be.

88E7B3A0-3488-4864-B664-452E54DF89C8.jpeg

CBB8CE67-7FF7-44EA-8E1C-BEDFD8295D38.jpeg

• MVP 2023

Hi,

you can try to use Project Memory Map.

Once I managed to exceed the allowable memory of the PLC.

The PLC may not have enough memory for the whole project, but changes in the new firmware (software) versions do not cause errors.

In update to 80 Visilogic version.

The appearance of the memory map has been updated, improved, and now
enables you to drill down into the memory allocation by clicking Analyze, at the
bottom of the window

Then later version has updated Memory Map also.

13 hours ago, Ausman said:

You have still not got SB168 set as 1 on power up, according to the above.  And increase your timeout length and number of retries.

cheers, Aus

Hi Ausman

i have set SB168 to 1 but it still gives me this error, why would it do this?

I have now set the timeout length to 4 seconds and the number of retries to 12 and will see how it goes today.

thank you again for your assistance.

8A802E36-0D1C-48B5-BE8F-D9E39B996A2D.png

1 hour ago, kratmel said:

Hi,

you can try to use Project Memory Map.

Once I managed to exceed the allowable memory of the PLC.

The PLC may not have enough memory for the whole project, but changes in the new firmware (software) versions do not cause errors.

In update to 80 Visilogic version.

The appearance of the memory map has been updated, improved, and now
enables you to drill down into the memory allocation by clicking Analyze, at the
bottom of the window

Then later version has updated Memory Map also.

Hi kramtel

i have checked the memory and I have used about 1/4 of the space. I have attached a screen shot. Is there any specific areas that I should be checking in case that specific section is over it’s allocation. I have extended the time out and number of retry’s and will test again today.

thank you again for your help.

1465D15D-4FC1-4369-9240-BD82B602C880.jpeg

• MVP 2023

Dermie, you obviously do not know about power up values.  Please look them up in Help.  You are setting 168 the wrong way.   Whether this is the reason for your issue I don't know.

Same thing for rung 3, if you want MB51 always on, you don't need SB1.

Not being rude here, and perhaps you are used to other programs, but you need to learn some basic things about how Visilogic works. 

cheers, Aus

• MVP 2023

If I understand this properly, you can do a regular download but not a download and burn.

If you can download, your communication is OK.  I would start looking at other possibilities.

Is your power supply nice and solid at about 24 VDC?
It is possible that the FLASH in your unit has gone glitchy.  Do you have a spare unit to try this out on?

Joe T.

On 2/3/2022 at 7:26 AM, Ausman said:

Dermie, you obviously do not know about power up values.  Please look them up in Help.  You are setting 168 the wrong way.   Whether this is the reason for your issue I don't know.

Same thing for rung 3, if you want MB51 always on, you don't need SB1.

Not being rude here, and perhaps you are used to other programs, but you need to learn some basic things about how Visilogic works. 

cheers, Aus

Hi Ausman

thank you for your feedback, I haven’t programmed many plcs and this is my first Unitronics. I do appreciate your advise and do not consider it rude.

I have the power up value for SB168  =1 and it removed the error. I am guessing this then allows the plc to change the value when it needs too rather than it being held at 1.

I use MB51 to control the trends which I want to run continually, can I just set it to 1 on power up or is it best to just do what I have done in the attached.

I will be testing the download all&burn today. I have also noticed that if someone access the HMI via there mobile app it will interrupt the download.

cheers

Dermie

E0466C13-1755-4415-9ABF-EFAB58FDE8FD.png

On 2/3/2022 at 8:17 AM, Joe Tauser said:

If I understand this properly, you can do a regular download but not a download and burn.

If you can download, your communication is OK.  I would start looking at other possibilities.

Is your power supply nice and solid at about 24 VDC?
It is possible that the FLASH in your unit has gone glitchy.  Do you have a spare unit to try this out on?

Joe T.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will review power supply. I don’t have a spare unit. I will be testing this download again today. 

• MVP 2023
6 minutes ago, Dermie said:

it removed the error

Does this mean the entire download problem is solved?  

MB51...if you want things to run all the time, you simply connect them direct to the left hand of the ladder, possibly in series with other elements.  In your case I would say that MB51 is totally unnecessary.  I did think this in my first mention of it, but wondered if there was possibly a need to turn it back on at the start of every scan, due to it perhaps being turned off by other actions....which did seem an odd thing!

When Compile brings up any sort of thing it has noticed, read the result very carefully.  Most of the time, you need to change something!

cheers, Aus

• MVP 2023
6 minutes ago, Ausman said:

Does this mean the entire download problem is solved?  

I think he meant the compile error regarding SB 168 was solved.

7 minutes ago, Ausman said:

MB51...if you want things to run all the time, you simply connect them direct to the left hand of the ladder, possibly in series with other elements.  In your case I would say that MB51 is totally unnecessary. 

He mentioned trends which IIRC has an activating bit in the trend definition. @Dermie, just Set MB 51 in Power-Up and you'll be fine, though there's nothing really wrong with the way you did it (though you don't need the SB 1 there - you are allowed to just hang a coil off the left rail). You might also check to see if an SB is allowed in the trend definition and just use SB 1 there. VisiLogic doesn't allow SBs everywhere it allows MBs though.

8 hours ago, Flex727 said:

I think he meant the compile error regarding SB 168 was solved.

He mentioned trends which IIRC has an activating bit in the trend definition. @Dermie, just Set MB 51 in Power-Up and you'll be fine, though there's nothing really wrong with the way you did it (though you don't need the SB 1 there - you are allowed to just hang a coil off the left rail). You might also check to see if an SB is allowed in the trend definition and just use SB 1 there. VisiLogic doesn't allow SBs everywhere it allows MBs though.

I have tested the download today and it worked with out a problem. I extended the time out time to 4 sec, increased retry’s to 12, ensured no remote access from mobile  and and changed the sb168. The plc now has a copy of the software burnt in flash. Thank you for you help with this it is really appreciated.