V1210: Visilogic Update -> OS Update -> Previously Working Ports Not Working

Hi Team I am stuck with a V1210-EXA2X-TO16-TO16 configuration which has worked for 4+ years and now stopped working after an update.

#ausman, I saw too late your sound pinned advice (linked below) however, I am here now with a non-function system on a client site and desparately seeking advice to fix:

Short Story - after an update, the two TO16 output modules do not seem to be sync'd anymore via the EXA2X to the V1210. Their status lights show GREEN FLASHING, I am expecting these to be GREEN STEADY.

I have tried removing all modules and then re-adding them in HW Config :

image.png.67dd4a044be30963c70e68c67b5aecb5.png

Something that's a litttle confusing is that I dont have the option to add the EX2AX expansion adaptor, but 4+years on from original config, I dont recall if it was there in the working version.

I have powered off and on.. reloaded software.. all to no avail, the output ports stubbornly ignore everything.

Is there some setting, option, config, that will force the system to recognise these modules?

It's been some weeks now and I have been unable to get any advice direct from support and we've lost our local support due to ill health.

Slightly longer story: update was as a result of a client changing battery leading to (possibly) corrupt / missing app, I tried to reload but Visiilogic appeared to be forcing an update, which I did, this led to a requirement to update OS (which was now incompatible with app) and then reloading the app.

Going crazy here! 🙂

Many thanks

Mal

• MVP 2023

So far, no one on the forum has linked the OS change with the loss of expansions connected through the module EX-A2X.

Considering the inadequate actions of the client in replacing the battery, other things are also possible, which I will try to list below:

1) the extension cable is connected to the Ethernet port instead of the Expansion port;

2) The cable is installed the other way  - the PLC side is changed with the extension side;

3) The cable is not original at all - a simple standard Ethernet cable is used;

4) The expansion module does not receive power (EX-A2X powered) test +24V on both up and down side and reconect green connector;

5) Corrosion of the motherboard or connector in the PLC - PLC must bereplaced;

6)EX-A2X damaged (must be replaced for test);

7) One of IO-TO16 damaged - try to connect only one of two present to system;

😎 V1210    is damaged (test by replacing PLC to another vision PLC).

Considering the fact that you have an old project - you can easily download the required older version of Visilogic and download the old version of the OS.

As said on the forum, it is impossible to kill a working PLC Vision at the software level.

P.S. Forum replace 8 ) to 😎 ...... :)

2 hours ago, kratmel said:

So far, no one on the forum has linked the OS change with the loss of expansions connected through the module EX-A2X.

Considering the inadequate actions of the client in replacing the battery, other things are also possible, which I will try to list below:

1) the extension cable is connected to the Ethernet port instead of the Expansion port;

2) The cable is installed the other way  - the PLC side is changed with the extension side;

3) The cable is not original at all - a simple standard Ethernet cable is used;

4) The expansion module does not receive power (EX-A2X powered) test +24V on both up and down side and reconect green connector;

5) Corrosion of the motherboard or connector in the PLC - PLC must bereplaced;

6)EX-A2X damaged (must be replaced for test);

7) One of IO-TO16 damaged - try to connect only one of two present to system;

😎 V1210    is damaged (test by replacing PLC to another vision PLC).

Considering the fact that you have an old project - you can easily download the required older version of Visilogic and download the old version of the OS.

As said on the forum, it is impossible to kill a working PLC Vision at the software level.

P.S. Forum replace 8 ) to 😎 ...... :)

Many thanks for the ideas @kratmel. I have confirmed that there has been no physical change to any config like cables, power, modules etc from the time it was working to the battery change and subsequent issue of the expansion and output modules not working.

The flashing RUN light makes me think that somehow the relationship between the V1210 and modules has been lost.

Maybe a stupid question, but do the modules have firmware that needs to be updated?

I think I am going down the path of downgrading Visilogic and OS to my last known working config of Jan 2019 - @Gabriel FrancoI think that is what you mean by firmware rollover? I did look at the signature log but this was a little confusing other than noticing the version numbers as yo suggested.

Also thanks to @Flex727for clarification on expansion adaptor.

Signature log:

image.thumb.png.2e010c8fee766ddc848e0a1cbdd3616b.png

• MVP 2023

I've been away for a few days, and just quickly on now.  Mal, the signature log Gabriel refers to is correct, but the columns you need show that the original was done using 9.8.31 and subsequent work has been done with 9.8.65.  It's interesting though, that the OS appears to have gone backwards to 4.11, with 9.8.65 shifting it a little bit oddly as well, anyway, on 4.2 & 4.4.

So there are a few things for you to play with along with all the other suggestions.  I also suggest you take Joe's favourite form of punishment....the foam bat......and apply it liberally to the client for changing the battery without your help!

Have to go again now.

cheers, Aus

HI all - well i've got nowhere with this despite all of your great advice.

The more I stare at the Expansion modules (or is it the steady blinking lights are looking at me with amusement?)the more i think it's kinda hardware realted.

To restate, as much for my benefit..,

1. the EX module power is on but the comm light is off.

2. the two TO16s have flashing RUN

For come reason this tells me there is not comms between PLC and EAX hence the IOs are waiting so flashing

3. The PLC does does the modules in info mode

4. the Visilogic app shows the PLC and two modules under hardware config.

Something new I noticed: when I do a reset of the PLC, the EAX comms light flashes on for half a second and in symphony (or sympathy) the IO modules' Run light stay on for a bit.

Is there something obvious I am missing in terms of some setting to enable comms to the EAX?

as always, you input gratefully received..

cheers

MAl

• MVP 2023

What you described should be verified. I laid out 8 points of checks. You have not written the results of any of the checks.

Unfortunately, we cannot solve your problem remotely.

You hypothesized that the firmware is to blame. Borrow another PLC, EX-A2X module and cable from the distributor. Establish who is guilty.

Next, if you determine that the PLC is to blame after all, you should disassemble it and inspect the motherboard. Very often we go around looking for firmware, rewriting programs - and it was enough to just press the cable into the PLC.

And one more thing - often the operating mode of the installation tells where it will break. If the control box with the PLC vibrates - the connectors on the boards fall off, if the PLC is standing near a wet machine - there is corrosion in the middle and in the connectors.

Analyze, research - draw conclusions!

Hi @kratmelconsider me berated and I follow with answers to your recommended checks

1) the extension cable is connected to the Ethernet port instead of the Expansion port; [Mal]: No change to hardware from time it was working - but I did check and it wasnt

2) The cable is installed the other way  - the PLC side is changed with the extension side; [Mal]: No change to hardware from time it was working - but I did check and it wasnt

3) The cable is not original at all - a simple standard Ethernet cable is used; [Mal]: No change to hardware from time it was working - but I did check and it is correct cable

4) The expansion module does not receive power (EX-A2X powered) test +24V on both up and down side and reconect green connector; [Mal]: All modules powered as evidenced by power /  status lights

5) Corrosion of the motherboard or connector in the PLC - PLC must bereplaced; [Mal]: beyond my capacity to check and will fall under category of Kaput PLC if next tests point that way

6)EX-A2X damaged (must be replaced for test);[Mal]: beyond my capacity to check and will fall under category of Kaput Module  if next tests point that way

7) One of IO-TO16 damaged - try to connect only one of two present to system; [Mal]: Next test

Some good news:

I dug out some old gear (V700 and EX-2AX] and had the following results:

1. Swap out EX-2AX - run the existing code - no change

2. change code to new do-nothing programme - immediately EAX was discovered and sync'd - was able to change port values and trigger relays

3. Reloaded my programme and ran - lost sync with expansion  - cannot activate relays (ie back to original fault state)

4. Swap out V1210 for V700 and reconfigure - run my original code - app worked (as best it could given screwy screen layouts). I could trigger ports

5. Revert back to V1210 and original code - doesn't work

'So common denominator appears to be the V1210

Just a final check - is there any way that code can disable comms to expansion module?

Thanks everyone for your continued support

Cheers

Mal

• MVP 2023

Great homework done! +++++

I think  hardware problem inside V1210 or you must check:

in Hardware configuration I/O Module Configuration - it is possible to program 2 or more config and set SI205 value.  It is possible SI205 value in PLC is incorrect .

IO_config.jpg.55a61a4a27ddd1ee79f88523906a8848.jpg

Please do Init & Reset in V1210 - download blank project and original one. Test Init & Reset on original project.

• MVP 2023

Clutching at straws a bit, but.......

I'm still wanting you to ensure that the OS is 4.2 and you're using 9.8.65.  Including using a program copy done a year or so ago using 9.8.65.

I know it shouldn't make a difference, but I also noticed that the PLC RTC is wrong.  Ensure it's matched up to current time.

I also notice that it appears you're using a different PC/laptop to do the current programming, and the new one  appears when the troubles started.  Ensure that the Visi installation was done correctly, and  as admin.  If possible, use the original PC/laptop just to try.

cheers, Aus

Thanks @Ausman- again well spotted re the devices and time!

On the RTC, the system is permanently offline due to customer security requirements so they need to maintain the time manually.

On the devices, yes there have probably been 3 devices over the years I've developed then supported the application.

I'll need to re-run the signature on the dev device (which I'm currently not on) and will show the results for last few entries.

@kratmel,  I'll go back to client tomorrow (Wednesday NZ) to look at SI205 .

Cheers

Mal