Request to the developers, improve the graphical interface in Visilogic. I can't overlay images on top of each other, I can't move any image to the top or end of the page. To draw a pump with changeable statuses in the water level using a bar, I need to waste a lot of time. Not working return action - Ctrl+Z.  And many other problems with creating pictures and animations in HMI.

• MVP 2023

Creating an interface with normal graphics requires considerable effort.

However, usually the main mistake when working on the interface in Visilogic is to try to make the interface composed of existing graphics and active components.

My advice - to create the necessary graphics without active components in Visilogic - here overlapping of elements and some other simplifications is allowed.

Export the finished image to a BMP file (this is the standard Visilogic tool). Next, crop the black frame and paste the resulting image as the background of your interface.

Then you are free to place the active components  on top of the background and set them the necessary parameters.

Some tips can be read here.

It is also useful to watch a video from YouTube on creating Visilogic  interfaces.

P.S. You can also create an image in any graphic editor with the size of the screen in your PLC.  It's probably faster and more convenient. However, you must consider the minimum dimensions for the active components that you want to place on the screen.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, kratmel said:

Creating an interface with normal graphics requires considerable effort.

However, usually the main mistake when working on the interface in Visilogic is to try to make the interface composed of existing graphics and active components.

My advice - to create the necessary graphics without active components in Visilogic - here overlapping of elements and some other simplifications is allowed.

Export the finished image to a BMP file (this is the standard Visilogic tool). Next, crop the black frame and paste the resulting image as the background of your interface.

Then you are free to place the active components  on top of the background and set them the necessary parameters.

Some tips can be read here.

It is also useful to watch a video from YouTube on creating Visilogic  interfaces.

P.S. You can also create an image in any graphic editor with the size of the screen in your PLC.  It's probably faster and more convenient. However, you must consider the minimum dimensions for the active components that you want to place on the screen.

Thanks for the answer.

I've got a task. I need to graphically show the state of a submersible pumps, wet installation in water. The pump has 3 statuses: gray - normal condition, green - running, red - emergency condition. Water shows the level higher or lower. As a Pump I am using "List of images", and Level of water  using "bar". Unfortunately they doesn't overlap. But I have no other ideas how to show submersible pump in water, so that it would be intuitive and graphically understandable, and nice

• MVP 2023

I use the following technique for this case. In my case, the level was in the center - it is rectangular.

Pictures of different colors were precisely divided into four rectangular parts and framed the level. Assigning the same bit of index to the four stacked pictures, he changed the color of the pictures. If there are few pumps (two or three), it is more convenient to simply draw separate windows (background) with different color combinations of the pumps and copy the same active elements to each of the Displays (this is done quickly and does not require much effort). If the condition of the pumps changes, switch the Displays. The rest of the elements work in normal mode (because they are repeated in different Displays, and only one is active).

P.S. Please post PLC model used for application.

On 4/1/2022 at 5:53 PM, kratmel said:

I use the following technique for this case. In my case, the level was in the center - it is rectangular.

Pictures of different colors were precisely divided into four rectangular parts and framed the level. Assigning the same bit of index to the four stacked pictures, he changed the color of the pictures. If there are few pumps (two or three), it is more convenient to simply draw separate windows (background) with different color combinations of the pumps and copy the same active elements to each of the Displays (this is done quickly and does not require much effort). If the condition of the pumps changes, switch the Displays. The rest of the elements work in normal mode (because they are repeated in different Displays, and only one is active).

P.S. Please post PLC model used for application.

My PLC model is V700. 
I had to spend a lot of time on the primitive. The level bar has placed on top of the pumps and between the pipes. But I'll be think, how make better, because I want make level bar was from 0 to top.

display.bmp

• MVP 2023

Your interface looks pretty nice.

I claim that the minimum allowable level (ie level 0, respectively) is when the water goes down to the engine. It is clear that the pump motor without water fails due to overheating. Your desire to make the water level from bottom to top is probably illogical. Because the pump must be switched off before the engine is dry. I highlighted this level with a red line.

display01.jpg.61e89c8ed5e3bf8ec5a1e1e695a9734b.jpg

13 hours ago, kratmel said:

Your interface looks pretty nice.

I claim that the minimum allowable level (ie level 0, respectively) is when the water goes down to the engine. It is clear that the pump motor without water fails due to overheating. Your desire to make the water level from bottom to top is probably illogical. Because the pump must be switched off before the engine is dry. I highlighted this level with a red line.

display01.jpg.61e89c8ed5e3bf8ec5a1e1e695a9734b.jpg

Thanks, but this is not the finished version. 

L and H are pre-alarm conditions, in case of manual operation. Between L and H is the working mode, which I set to Start / Stop.

Still, I would like more features in the VisiLogic graphic editor.

• MVP 2023
9 minutes ago, Ruslan said:

Still, I would like more features in the VisiLogic graphic editor.

I think that some global changes are impossible, I have well studied the hardware of the Vision PLC and I understand that they are directly related to the capabilities of the Visilogic environment. Therefore, the environment is changing only in the direction of improving the programming features that can be added to the firmware.

In any case, do not try to turn the PLC screen into a smartphone or computer screen. This is not the task of the PLC. By working with the available features, you can get a good interface. But there is such a science as ergonomics and there is practical experience in using touch screens.

Almost all of my projects use the PLC screen only for setup and display. All the start, stop and control functions I try to do with buttons. Accordingly, all those who use these systems say that the buttons are more convenient than constantly wiping the touch screen in one place and as a result change the PLC due to failure of the touch panel.

IMG_20201007_115440.thumb.jpg.6298967a9a76b686bd7bbe5bd3b439f5.jpg

Example of a dosing device for sand and gravel. The employee does not press anything on the PLC screen. Even the set weight of 60 kg he sees from the active pressed buttons from a distance - without approaching the control panel. The previous control system on the touch panel did not last half a year - replaced by this control box with buttons.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, kratmel said:

I think that some global changes are impossible, I have well studied the hardware of the Vision PLC and I understand that they are directly related to the capabilities of the Visilogic environment. Therefore, the environment is changing only in the direction of improving the programming features that can be added to the firmware.

In any case, do not try to turn the PLC screen into a smartphone or computer screen. This is not the task of the PLC. By working with the available features, you can get a good interface. But there is such a science as ergonomics and there is practical experience in using touch screens.

Almost all of my projects use the PLC screen only for setup and display. All the start, stop and control functions I try to do with buttons. Accordingly, all those who use these systems say that the buttons are more convenient than constantly wiping the touch screen in one place and as a result change the PLC due to failure of the touch panel.

IMG_20201007_115440.thumb.jpg.6298967a9a76b686bd7bbe5bd3b439f5.jpg

Example of a dosing device for sand and gravel. The employee does not press anything on the PLC screen. Even the set weight of 60 kg he sees from the active pressed buttons from a distance - without approaching the control panel. The previous control system on the touch panel did not last half a year - replaced by this control box with buttons.

You are right, of course we use physical buttons and duplicate an alarms with lamps, in case the PLC fails.
Unfortunately, I have a V350 PLC - 3 pieces that are out of order.

photo_2022-04-04_14-19-30.jpg

On 4/3/2022 at 5:28 AM, kratmel said:

In any case, do not try to turn the PLC screen into a smartphone or computer screen.

hahaha 🤣 I agree, however, I am doomed to do exactly this because I have a lot of systems that were built just with the HMI as Interface. No buttons, No light stack just HMI.

And I need to add a lot of new functionalities 😓 
to do a retrofit for those many machines will be impossible 

I feel like I am working more in an entire OS rather than a contol software.

On 4/1/2022 at 5:43 AM, Ruslan said:

Request to the developers, improve the graphical interface in Visilogic. I can't overlay images on top of each other, I can't move any image to the top or end of the page. To draw a pump with changeable statuses in the water level using a bar, I need to waste a lot of time. Not working return action - Ctrl+Z.  And many other problems with creating pictures and animations in HMI.

I feel the pain too. The lack of standard features drives me crazy, just to think about making a new screen is tedious to me !!!. group resizing, rotating elements, a better implementation of copy and paste (one that does not require clearing everything before pasting), maybe pop-up windows, recipe selection... Although with some creativity, and patience (A LOT OF PATIENCE), you could do nice things

• Upvote 1

• MVP 2023

I don't know if anyone tried this trick ...

One of my projects required significant graphic constructions on the V1210 panel. Accordingly, I first started to make the interface with the help of Visilogic and was very behind the schedule. MS Visio came to the rescue. Please see what happened. That is, the essence of the trick is to draw graphics in Visio and use it as a basis (background) for the Vision series panel. After that, I added active components to the interface.

800x600_bobine.jpg.9d35346dc96e4c3fe75c7158408a0fff.jpg

That is what I wanted to say.

Creating an interface should start with planning on paper. Make a pencil sketch.

If you keep an idea in mind, draw it with a simple Visilogic graphics, and then try to redo it into a new (in your opinion better) version - a headache is guaranteed.

Coffee time spent creating an interface manually on paper will save you hours of sitting at your computer. And if you write variables on this sketch - the work will go even faster.

This is an excellent thread--great suggestions. 

Vision has been taken as far as it can go, and people really do manage to create fabulous displays. UniStream HMI design is more advanced.

On 4/5/2022 at 11:37 PM, viscoelastic said:

Thanks, Hopefully I am not the only nerd on here who likes Star Trek :)

I have probably watched the entire original series several times--the last time being with my family during the first lockdown, when we really did not want to be on Planet Earth!

• Like 1

• MVP 2023
On 4/4/2022 at 4:16 PM, Fernando Castro said:

a better implementation of copy and paste (one that does not require clearing everything before pasting)

I'm sure everyone has their workaround for this, but mine is to always have a "scratch" HMI screen in the project. When I copy/paste HMI elements, I first paste onto the scratch screen, move the element to the location I need, then copy/paste to the final location. It's quick and easy. When the project is finalized, I delete the "scratch" HMI screen (or not, the PLC doesn't care).

• Like 1

• MVP 2023
4 hours ago, Cara Bereck Levy said:

I have probably watched the entire original series several times

I am one of the many who can say I watched the show weekly during the original run on network TV. I loved the show and remember the fan letter writing campaign that saved the show from cancellation to allow a 3rd season. Sadly, since Roddenberry left to pursue other projects, that 3rd season wasn't as good as it could have been, but it was still great.

I highly recommend this book series: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074C122H3

The title is "These Are The Voyages" by Marc Cushman. There is a book for each of the 3 seasons, and it is the definitive history of the making of the show. You will learn amazing things, be entertained, and feel you were there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2022 at 4:51 AM, Cara Bereck Levy said:

This is an excellent thread--great suggestions. 

Vision has been taken as far as it can go, and people really do manage to create fabulous displays. UniStream HMI design is more advanced.

I have probably watched the entire original series several times--the last time being with my family during the first lockdown, when we really did not want to be on Planet Earth!

I'm in the middle of developing my first Unilogic application.  I was pleasantly surprised that the cost wasnt prohibitive, and the availalbity of components much better.  I have Vision / Samba product that has been on B/O for many months.     So far I like Unilogic, but I belive I'll always have applications that will run a Samba 3.5 or 7; simply due to the price point.  

• Like 1

Oh - and to be constructive to the thread - when I've need to do something with having objects change state / color that I coulndt do simply with a binary image,  

I have replicatd the images in photo editor and then eported them as bmp files in different colors.   Then set up a "List of images by pointer" and select with the state engine 

-  thank you @Joe Tauser  - this has become an invaluable tool for me. 

Some items within Visi's sofware you can edit the color whthin the program.  

• Like 1