• MVP 2023

Not 100% certain, but I believe you can. You must use the correct connection cable though.

By the way, the direct replacement for the EX-A1 is the EX-A2X, not the EX-RC1. The EX-RC1 connects to the PLC using CanBus and is a REMOTE expansion adapter. The EX-A2X is a LOCAL expansion adapter, like the EX-A1.

• 1 month later...
  • MVP 2023

The EX-A1 is NOT a remote expansion adapter. It is a LOCAL adapter. Local adapters do not need to be specified in the Hardware Configuration. Just place your IO-DI16, IO-RO16, etc, modules on the DIN rail in the Hardware Configuration. The local expansion adapter is assumed.

• MVP 2023

1.  The EX-A1 or EX-A2X does not appear when you configure your expansion (not "remote") I/O.  This is a confusing feature of Unitronics.  Don't worry about it - it will work fine as long as you have the proper EX1-CAnnn cable connected. 

2.  We haven't sold the EX-A1 for many years.  The EX-A2X is the drop-in replacement and is an isolated unit.  They work better.

Joe T.

Hi;

The only catch in replacing the   older EX-A1  with the   EX-A2X  is the Cable also has to be replaced and the EXL-CABxxx  Cable is wired different to the Older Cable

and  HAS  to be   Plugged in a certain way -  PLC and EX-A2X Ends are different.

DanT

• MVP 2023
On 6/19/2019 at 5:28 PM, Flex727 said:

Not 100% certain, but I believe you can. You must use the correct connection cable though.

By the way, the direct replacement for the EX-A1 is the EX-A2X, not the EX-RC1. The EX-RC1 connects to the PLC using CanBus and is a REMOTE expansion adapter. The EX-A2X is a LOCAL expansion adapter, like the EX-A1.

Sometimes when I'm driving I feel like my car is invisible too.

On 8/1/2019 at 11:07 PM, Ausman said:

Pls tell me that's not the finished rack?  If it is, please send me the unused DI & RO 16...I can always use some spares!   😀

cheers, Aus

I'm only getting started so I don't have any wiring done yet. I do plan to use these modules in future but if one becomes available I'll gladly send it to you.

gerard339,

For EX-A1 (gray boots) cable P/N EX1-CA100. Where 100 is a cable length in sm.

EX-A1  comes with a 1m cable.

For EX-A2X (yellow boots) cable P/N EXL-CAB100  Where 100 is a cable length in sm.

The EX-A2X comes with a 1m cable.  Other cable lengths can be purchased.  The maximum length is 20m.  All lengths available can be seen below:

EXL-CAB050- 0.5m
EXL-CAB100- 1.0m
EXL-CAB200- 2.0m
EXL-CAB295- 2.95m
EXL-CAB400- 4.0m
EXL-CAB500- 5.0m
EXL-CAB600- 6.0m
EXL-CAB1000-10.0m
EXL-CAB2000-20.0m

Cable side with a ~10 sm ground wire connected to PLC.

B.R.

• 2 years later...
  • MVP 2014

Hi,

I don't know for sure, but the EXA1 and EXA2X have always been interchangeable on all the other Vision PLCs.  I haven't tested one with a V700.

I guess there is also the commercial argument that if you are doing an upgrade, can you include a new EX-A2X in the costing, so you are eliminating obsolete parts from the system?

Just a thought,

Simon

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Joep said:

Hi,

Does anyone here know the pinout of P/N EX1-CA100? or is there a manual for it?

Cheers

hello Joep,

for the EX-A1 you can use a regular patch cable. when you connect the plc to the expanison module power down the plc, than power it back up. after that communication will be established.🤞