Calibration of touchscreen problem.

• 2 years later...

Hi, I have a problem with vision 1210, I can't calibrate the touchscree, I don't know how  access to menu de calibration. I see only this instructions

1-      Verify that the PLC is standalone (No I/O) on your desk and without any protective cover on the touchscreen.

2-      Check that the PLC is clean and also when it's OFF try to search any object (Dirt, Dust ) between the behind the touchscreen.

3-      Power ON, Touch the display and check the values SI40,SI41 - When the touch screen is not pressed, SI40 and SI41 equals to -1:

If the values are not equals to -1, please clean the screen and remove the screen protector (if there is any).

image.png.90f661857b9407d07d92545cc2af643b.png

4-      SB74 takes care to save calibration points to the EPROM.

Please Try to calibrate the touchscreen using a stylus pen as follows:

·         When the PLC is connected, go to on-line mode (F9)

·         Go to SB74 and press on "set", SB74 will rise to 1

image.thumb.png.8a24ac936bac758c34837e6dcdfc3b49.png

·       Now, go to SB73 and press on "set", calibration cursor will appear in the PLC's display.

image.thumb.png.69b68b36204c4393310f906516e372cc.png

• MVP 2023
1 hour ago, Daag said:

I don't know how  access to menu de calibration. I see only this instructions

With the PLC powered up, touch the touchscreen in an area with no HMI elements and hold the touch for at least 4 seconds. You will then be presented with the option to go into INFO Mode, or calibrating the touchscreen. Choose calibrate the touchscreen and touch the boxes that pop up. When complete, press the ESC button to return to the operating system.

• 2 years later...

I had a Vision 1040 controller go to info mode automatically. Brand new controller. When I tried to calibrate, it seemed like the touchscreen wasn't working/responding. Turns out it was the plastic screen protector. Once I removed that, I was able to calibrate the screen. Issue resolved. 

• MVP 2023

Normally the plastic screen protector does not interfere with calibration or the touch property of the screen. I normally don't remove it. However, I have had an occasion where there was a particle trapped under the protector which was registering as a touch. Since these screens are single touch (not multi-touch like your phone) the screen appeared to be non-responsive. Obviously, removing the protector fixed the problem.

• 10 months later...

With a help of Daags instructions (I do not know where did he found them) I manage to get my samba 70 touchscreen  work again.

Before i did not manage to enter calibration mode since " x value"  was always 799, only y changed correctly.

Once in the calibration mode I simply touched  little squares and voila it works.

It seems that in eeprom which stores calibration values some glitches caused corruption.

Edited by Pavel_setnicar
grammar

On 6/1/2021 at 6:12 PM, Ausman said:

Wouldn't such a thing show up on SB16?  An easy way to check if it IS the issue.

cheers, Aus

Not necessarily if you alredy try the calibration.

Based on how resistive touch screen works (basically take analog readings based on the deformation on the frame of each axis),

the calibration usually take readings on some known points and "ofsetts" the analog readings based on those known positions.

Fun fact, if you have a dead or faulty resistive touchscreen you can try to give it a massage along the borders to make it work  again "the massage" spreads the coatingevenly again, when it fails it is usually is because the coating along  axis has "gaps" and is not being conductive anymore... I discovered that dissasembling my Nintendo DS when had like 17 years old 🤣, and years later on my first job tried that on a 10 in RED LION HMI  needles to say that it is just a temporal fix, that HMI wont be reliable anymore

Resistive Touch Panel Construction and Working Principles - Riverdi

• Like 1

• MVP 2023
2 hours ago, Fernando Castro said:

Fun fact, if you have a dead or faulty resistive touchscreen you can try to give it a massage along the borders to make it work  again "the massage" spreads the coatingevenly again, when it fails it is usually is because the coating along  axis has "gaps" and is not being conductive anymore... I discovered that dissasembling my Nintendo DS when had like 17 years old 🤣, and years later on my first job tried that on a 10 in RED LION HMI  needles to say that it is just a temporal fix, that HMI wont be reliable anymore

Good info. Perhaps you have run across an issue I had recently with a V1210.The touchscreen worked, but required abnormally hard presses to register touch. It seemed to get a little better with use but never as light a touch as I'm used to with this model PLC.

I do understand the difference between resistive touch (Unitronics PLC) and capacitive touch (cellphone screen) and recognize that resisitive touch panels will always require a bit of deformation to register touch, but this particular PLC was definitely outside the norm of what I'm used to.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Fellas,

I have a Vision V350 RA22 and I just broke the touch screen while I tried to clean it. I know, it sucks. :) But luckilly I have bought two identical touch from China and I replaced the broken one with the new one. I thought everything will going well after the replacing but no. When the system boots up its OS - which operates a press machine (Italpress) - the touch does not work as expected. Like it doesnt fing any of the old fuctions. I touch a "button" on the screen and the OS does something else.

I tried to use the calibrating mode (switch on-touch the screen - wait to the counter - touch again) and the little yellow squares appears, I touch them but the process does not want to stop. I keep touching, the square dissapears and appears on the next corner but it never ends.

Do anybody has an idea what can be wrong? What do I need to do to fix it somehow? It costs like a monthly salary here in Norway and you know, I am not millionaire just a hobby tech guy. :) 

The touch screen is a normal 3,5" rsistive one with 4 wire and it fits perfectly to the V350. I guess it must be good. Anyway.. I bought two pieces just to be safe but the other one is doing the same "shit".

Thanks in advance!

• MVP 2023

My experience of trying to replace the touch sensor in Vision Unitronics PLC has always failed.

Now I have V350, V570, Samba 7' and V1040 on the shelves with faulty broken sensors. There are several corresponding touch sensors of similar size that could not be forced to work. It is impossible to find a device similar in marking, I think this is an OEM product only for PLC Unitronics.

The only time I replaced the touch sensor was a new front PLC panel ordered from the manufacturer for Unistream PLC. I wrote on the forum about it.

Therefore, you can ask your Unitronics PLC supplier if it is possible to buy a new PLC front panel, cross your fingers and wait for a positive response.

The worst option is to buy a new PLC to remove the front panel with the sensor. Probably the V350 PLC without inputs and outputs (B1) is cheaper and can serve as a donor.

Put here a photo of the replacement touch panel marking (numbers on the cable). I will try to compare its characteristics with the factory one that I have in the working V350 PLC.

• MVP 2023

I don't use any Vision with touch, only 130s.  However, my observation of other screens I've used is that sometimes the "matrix" on a "matching" screen is different, hence it won't work correctly.  Zoltan, does anything happen differently if you wander your finger around other parts of the screen during the process?  Like uniformly in from the corners etc. 

cheers, Aus

• MVP 2023

And it just occurred to me that Kratmel would be able to test the resistive values b/n OEM and other.  But perhaps this is what you're talking about anyway?

2 hours ago, kratmel said:

I will try to compare its characteristics with the factory one that I have in the working V350 PLC.

12 hours ago, kratmel said:

My experience of trying to replace the touch sensor in Vision Unitronics PLC has always failed.

Now I have V350, V570, Samba 7' and V1040 on the shelves with faulty broken sensors. There are several corresponding touch sensors of similar size that could not be forced to work. It is impossible to find a device similar in marking, I think this is an OEM product only for PLC Unitronics.

The only time I replaced the touch sensor was a new front PLC panel ordered from the manufacturer for Unistream PLC. I wrote on the forum about it.

Therefore, you can ask your Unitronics PLC supplier if it is possible to buy a new PLC front panel, cross your fingers and wait for a positive response.

The worst option is to buy a new PLC to remove the front panel with the sensor. Probably the V350 PLC without inputs and outputs (B1) is cheaper and can serve as a donor.

Put here a photo of the replacement touch panel marking (numbers on the cable). I will try to compare its characteristics with the factory one that I have in the working V350 PLC.

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. I attached two pictures of the panel and the cable. I hope it will help. It is unbelieveable that Unitronics producing stuff like this on that method - if you have broken screen you must change the whole PLC module.(?) It is sad but understandable - not from the nature or the climate perspective. 😕 Anyway I found a V350 T-RA22 PLC on e-bay which is not RA22. I did not find differences between theese two yet but I will found out if I can by that one for a way long chheaper price then here in Norway. I wanted to solve this problem way more cheaper but I guess I wont. :( 

IMG_20220527_102530.jpg

IMG_20220527_102548.jpg

10 hours ago, Ausman said:

I don't use any Vision with touch, only 130s.  However, my observation of other screens I've used is that sometimes the "matrix" on a "matching" screen is different, hence it won't work correctly.  Zoltan, does anything happen differently if you wander your finger around other parts of the screen during the process?  Like uniformly in from the corners etc. 

cheers, Aus

Well...It is not working like normal I guess. When I am on the boot screen and touch it anywhere and hold, it does the function that expected: goes into the calibrating screen. But when I am on that screen and I try to push the "enter boot menu" it does nothing. So there can be a problem with the "matrix" and what you wrote because of different product of touch panel like the original. May I request an original touch from the factory? Or this is just a dream that nobody has reached in history? :)

5 hours ago, ZoltanBoros said:

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. I attached two pictures of the panel and the cable. I hope it will help. It is unbelieveable that Unitronics producing stuff like this on that method - if you have broken screen you must change the whole PLC module.(?) It is sad but understandable - not from the nature or the climate perspective. 😕 Anyway I found a V350 T-RA22 PLC on e-bay which is not RA22. I did not find differences between theese two yet but I will found out if I can by that one for a way long chheaper price then here in Norway. I wanted to solve this problem way more cheaper but I guess I wont. :( 

IMG_20220527_102530.jpg

IMG_20220527_102548.jpg

Never replaced a resistive touchscreen on a PLC, but in my experience back in the day repairing resistive touchscreen on devices. was a pain in the ass to find a functional replacement from china. (I used to order more than one part of the same model because of the bad quality)

Nowadays it's getting even worse.

And I mean, to be honest, that is a problem with "All in ones" if your screen dies you must replace the entire controller and backup the software.
being PLCs industrial components that are used to run machines and processes I don't recommend using spare parts other than the original ones that the manufacturer could supply.
In my experience is just not worth it, going cheaper on industrial devices NEVER pays itself. ... properly running the machine as it should pay itself (or seeing it the other way, having the machine down for a long time is more expensive than the new part)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fernando Castro said:

Never replaced a resistive touchscreen on a PLC, but in my experience back in the day repairing resistive touchscreen on devices. was a pain in the ass to find a functional replacement from china. (I used to order more than one part of the same model because of the bad quality)

And I mean, to be honest, that is a problem with "All in ones" if your screen dies you must replace the entire controller and backup the software.
being PLCs industrial components that are used to run machines and processes I don't recommend using spare parts other than the original ones that the manufacturer could supply.
In my experience is just not worth it, going cheaper on industrial devices NEVER pays itself. ... properly running the machine as it should pay itself (or seeing it the other way, having the machine down for a long time is more expensive than the new part)

Yes, I actually agree with you and this is so logical. It does not worth waisting more time, I will go and get a new PLC - or at least a used one from e-bay for example. I just need to figure it out what are differences between TRA22 and RA22.

4 hours ago, Fernando Castro said:

Edited by ZoltanBoros
can delete this one, clicked twice

Well...

I have found a UNITRONICS V350-35-TA24-P VISION 350

And I need  support here if you can provide please. May I use this one as a donor to fix my V350-RA22?
I want to spare so much money as I can beacause I cannot afford to by a new one and get that programmed which is also expensive.

Here is the link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275305290884?hash=item4019795c84:g:~ckAAOSwvoVieNX~

Edited by ZoltanBoros
word edit

• MVP 2023

Unfortunately, I do not have your version of the V350-35-RA22 on the table.

I have two PLCs with indexes B1 and TR20. I disassembled them and found that both have exactly the same adapter board marked V350-L3 to which the display, touchscreen and keyboard are connected. I specifically rearranged the front panel with this board between the two PLCs. It turned out that both work fine and the touch screen does its job quite accurately, even without the calibration.

Therefore, I think that TA24 and PA22 also have interchangeable front panels with the same adapter board marked V350-L3 . You can find this adapter board in your PLC.

And strangely enough, I found a sensor for the V350-35-RA22 on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234546481390?hash=item369c0f48ee:g:ipoAAOSwaDtienKu

Surprisingly, the seller of this touch screen offers the same for all other PLCs of the V350 series (foto is the same)

However at such high price I think that to buy the PLC offered by you it is safer and result of repair will be guaranteed (only front panel with adapter board must to be replaced) .

• Like 1

• MVP 2023
2 hours ago, kratmel said:

the seller of this touch screen

That (re-)seller is renowned for amazingly high prices, on parts/units that it pays miniscule amounts to the original owners.

8 hours ago, Fernando Castro said:

having the machine down for a long time is more expensive than the new part

I agree, but I often get the impression on the forum that many Unitronics devices are used in home situations.   Beer brewing, automation etc.  In that situation the cost factor is significant. Especially as you could view the touch as a consumable item. 

@Cara Bereck Levy  has Unitronics considered the merits of making them easily available?  Lack of doing so might possibly impact sales a fair bit...."no easy parts availability so I'll use that other species which does".  We read on the forum of people getting some parts via special effort, but none are officially listed.

cheers, Aus