VisiLogic and Windows 10

I was planning on it.  Then the recent fiasco came out with the Windows 10 auto updates being completely automatic and required which then fed into a recent driver update breaking people's video card drivers and functionality.

I've held off on the upgrade at this point until they resolve that out better.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using VisiLogic 9.7.60 on Windows 10 for a week (and tried previous version interminttently for months in the Win 10 Insider Builds) with no problems. I only had the initial hassle of installing the serial port virtualization driver myself; but I had to to do that in Win 8.1 too, so already knew what to do.

I receive an error using Visilogic after upgrading Windows 7 to 10 because it turned on my UAC.  After I shut that off and uninstalled it then installed 9.7.60 I am getting a "load 9Permission denined" error.  I am going to clean the directory and re-install.  I also did not get Remote Operator to work (it is whing about "Corrupted Favorites XML File.").

Solved (look at the end for solution, symptoms are at the start).

Still can't get Visilogic 9.7.60 to work in Windows 10.  I have tried to clean the registry of all Unitronics entries, clear the directory after uninstalling all Unitronics software. I am getting an "Unhandled exception" "Access to the path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Unitronics\Remote Operator\Recent Projects.xml' is denied." error when trying to use Remote Operator (install when fine).  The folder is present, but the files is not there.

Also still getting the "Load 9Permission denied" error after clean install in Windows 10.  After this error the program does not load but is stuck in the task manager as a still running task.  If I cancel the start-up error and open a file I get a "Run=time error "70': Permission denied" from VisiLogic.

Clearly Windows 10 won't give it access to things it needs access to even after being an administrator and setting UAC to off/minimal.

Solution:

You have to run the installation "Run as Administrator" then each time you run the program you have to "Run as Administrator" also.

This also fixes the "Remote Operator" problems (don't have to do the install that way just each execution).

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Solved (look at the end for solution, symptoms are at the start).

Still can't get Visilogic 9.7.60 to work in Windows 10.  I have tried to clean the registry of all Unitronics entries, clear the directory after uninstalling all Unitronics software. I am getting an "Unhandled exception" "Access to the path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Unitronics\Remote Operator\Recent Projects.xml' is denied." error when trying to use Remote Operator (install when fine).  The folder is present, but the files is not there.

Also still getting the "Load 9Permission denied" error after clean install in Windows 10.  After this error the program does not load but is stuck in the task manager as a still running task.  If I cancel the start-up error and open a file I get a "Run=time error "70': Permission denied" from VisiLogic.

Clearly Windows 10 won't give it access to things it needs access to even after being an administrator and setting UAC to off/minimal.

Solution:

You have to run the installation "Run as Administrator" then each time you run the program you have to "Run as Administrator" also.

This also fixes the "Remote Operator" problems (don't have to do the install that way just each execution).

I think this is true with Windows 8.1 also. You need to do this with the SD Card Explorer as well.

• MVP 2023

Hi all,

The upgrade to Win 10 went ok, but I subsequently had an issue doing downloads via the net...version 9.7.55/0.  My ticker stopped working for a while as the site was hours away!  All looked ok until the very last moment of the transfer where it usually goes to the run box, instead up came the big error window that essentially says to send the info to Unitronics!  Tried twice with the same result.  Didn't take a screen shot as too worried as I had to get the system going again asap.

Quickly discovered that the 10 upgrade had turned off all of my run as admin settings....every single one of them in every program & shortcut I have it set on.  Worked fine after turning it back on, but it is definitely something to be aware of.  Thankyou Microsoft.....not!

Just as an aside, the upgrade changed my date formats, language etc to US, and I had to manually shift it back to Aus.

Here's hoping they don't do something else silly as they evolve the release.

cheers,

Aus

I am using Visilogic 9.7.60 with Windows 10 for couple of weeks already and no issues to be reported. Looks like the guys from Microsoft did not do huge changes in the Windows kernel, or the changes were very well tested. At the same time I am using Visilogic 9.7.60 on a Windows 7 (installed on a MacBook Pro) and works fine. 

There is any forecast to have Visilogic released for Mac OS X as well ?

Cheers, 

Marius

• 4 weeks later...
  • MVP 2023

Hi all,

perhaps some of you might be in the same boat as me.

I have a number of older programs that are crucial.  Prior to the upgrade I was on Win7, and had been able to get them running fine using the "disable visual themes" setting in the compatibility tab.  If I had this off, all sorts of weird things would happen with buttons, drop down menus etc.  It was amazing how far reaching changing the setting to on or off changed the way the programs worked.

On moving to Win10 the programs would not run correctly.  So went to compatibility and huh?!#*, disable visual themes is not there!  I hunted everywhere for a solution to this seemingly silly microsoft decision.  After many weeks of looking, I have found that the capability still exists, just isn't shown.  Stumbled across this solution for Win 8, but it works fine in 10 for me. 

Scroll down to the post by Morten near the bottom, with a little registry work showing.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b49de36e-d36f-4f7c-a63e-b70c49c86efd/compatibility-administrator-and-the-old-setting-disable-visual-themes?forum=w8itproappcompat

Thankyou Morten! Working perfectly again.  Ahh Microsoft, why do you do such silly things?  Huh?

cheers,

Aus

• 2 weeks later...

I upgrade my laptop to Windows 10 and I didn´t have problems running Visilogic. But today I try to download a program using the serial port and then the software started to crash. As soon as you try to get online the software crash. I try the compatibility with Windows 8 option and seems it´s going to work. I will update tomorrow.

• MVP 2023

Hi again all,

further comments re some things not working ok.

I have many older installations that used the most up to date technology at the time.  They are not really 'out of date', just older than 5 years.  I have found that Win 10 simply does not work ok with a host of the programs that are essential for maintenance of these existing installations.  I am talking puck programming, interface setups, actuator programming etc.

Although compatibility is meant to work, it doesn't.  Nor does running things via a virtual machine.  It must be a driver issue, but even though many of the manufacturers say that things will be ok, they aren't.   I spent a frustrating day yesterday on a site, trying to get one program to work without any luck, using all sorts of tweaks.  Silly me had not checked it before visiting the site...didn't twig that I hadn't used it since the 10 upgrade.

I finally gave up and today I moved a few partition copies around, putting my copy of XP SP3 back onto the laptop.  I was back in business immediately, so it is definitely OS related.  I am going to now go down the path of always having my older laptop with me with a 'real' version of XP to use.  It will have all my programs to use when directly hooking up to things, but won't be used for anything that needs internet access.

Some time in the future I will experiment with a dual boot of XP and 10 on the newer laptop, but I have read contradictory reports on this, and can't afford the time at present.  I think it should be fairly easy using EasyBCD etc.

I guess the essence of this post is that if you are having trouble with something, give up now and use a known OS that worked ok before!

cheers,

Aus

Dear Aus,

Windows 10 is still new and we didn’t finish all our tests to give an official statement, only what is stated in our System Requirements.

We successfully manage to run UniLogic , VisiLogic and U90Ladder under Windows 10..

Please note - JAZZ20 USB port driver currently is not supported by Windows 10.

How to Disable Driver Signature Verification on 64-Bit Windows 8.1 or 10

To disable driver signature verification, we’re going to need to get into the Troubleshooting options from the boot manager. The easiest way to bring this screen up is using a secret trick.

Simply select Restart from the power options menu (on Windows 8 that’s under Charms or on the login screen, and in Windows 10 it’s on the Start Menu).

Hold down the SHIFT key while you click Restart.

(Again, you can use this trick on any of the power menus in Windows 8 or 10, whether on the login screen, Charms bar, Start Menu, or Start Screen)

Once your computer has rebooted you will be able to choose the Troubleshoot option.

Then head into Advanced options.

Then Startup Settings.

Since we are modifying boot time configuration settings, you will need to restart your Computer one last time.

Finally, you will be given a list of startup settings that you can change. The one we are looking for is “Disable driver signature enforcement”. To choose the setting, you will need to press the F7 key.

That’s all there is to it. Your PC will then reboot and you will be able to install unsigned drivers without any error message

I hope you find this information useful, and we will be happy to help you with any further concerns.

• MVP 2023

Dear R.

Thanks for your post.  However, perhaps I didn't make myself clear enough.  I can run all of my Unitronics programs fine, no problems at all.

It is programming/maintaining other ancillary equipment that is part of my older plc installations that is the issue. Under Win 10, all of these programs appear to install ok without any error messages, but they don't work correctly no matter how much I tweak things.  However, under XP they work fine straight off the install, on the same hardware.  I only mentioned my issue in case someone else was having similar troubles.

Cheers,

Aus

I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 with Visilogic 9.7.6 already installed. I had no problems at all and was able to continue working as normal. The problem came when I tried to upgrade to Visilogic 9.8.0. I had to delete every single file I could find related to "Visilogic" or "Unitronics" from my C: drive in addition to disabling UAC in order to get it to install properly without throwing the "prvChangeGuiByPlcType" error every time I opened it. Now, every time I open my separate storage drive and even start to go down through the file system to get to a VLP file, it crashes Windows Explorer. This is a VERY SERIOUS ISSUE. My next step will be to uninstall Visilogic again, back up every single VLP file and delete it, go through and delete all app data and anything related to Unitronics (again), reboot, and reinstall. I'll post and let everyone know how it goes. :angry:

I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 with Visilogic 9.7.6 already installed. I had no problems at all and was able to continue working as normal. The problem came when I tried to upgrade to Visilogic 9.8.0. I had to delete every single file I could find related to "Visilogic" or "Unitronics" from my C: drive in addition to disabling UAC in order to get it to install properly without throwing the "prvChangeGuiByPlcType" error every time I opened it. Now, every time I open my separate storage drive and even start to go down through the file system to get to a VLP file, it crashes Windows Explorer. This is a VERY SERIOUS ISSUE. My next step will be to uninstall Visilogic again, back up every single VLP file and delete it, go through and delete all app data and anything related to Unitronics (again), reboot, and reinstall. I'll post and let everyone know how it goes. :angry:

UPDATE: I removed every single VLP file from my system and reinstalled. I am now able to open the folders where the VLP files were previously located. However, if I insert the USB key where I backed up my VLP files and open one of the folders containing VLP files, it crashes Windows Explorer. Note in both my previous post and this post I am referring to doing this while Visilogic is not running. I'm beginning to wonder if this is just a new bug in version 9.8.0. If not, there's a serious problem with file type registration on new Windows 10 installs. I will await replies before I decide if I should go back to 9.7.6 or wait for a fix on 9.8.0.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I installed VisiLogic on a PC using Win10 (fresh firsttime installation of the software; no update of OS). UAC was disabled and installation procedure worked as expected without any error. Unfortunately VisiLogic wont start properly. When started, it raises a message windows showing "Load 131Anwendungs- oder objektdefinierter Fehler" (Load 131Defined or object-defined error). I can press OK and the windows closes but VisiLogic is disabled, which means I see the programm windows, but if you click something it doesn't react. You cannot even close the window - I had to kill the process using task-manager.

I tried everything, including "run as administrator" or WinXP-compatibility mode, installation in different directories and so on - but without success. No chance to get the programm started properly. Maybe upgrading OS when VisiLogic is already installed maybe working, but installation on a new PC failed for me.

I had a similar issue with Visilogic and Windows 10. I fix it by disabling the UAC completely (from registry). 

Try to make 0 the following dword :

EnableLUA =0

from

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

Restart the system and see if the Visilogic works properly. 

Good luck,

Marius

I would think that you could re-enable UAC after VisiLogic is installed.

Yes, I already tried that and the apps work again. But then VisiLogic again starts to raise error messages. Different then be before I was able to work with VIsiLogic, so maybe that error message doesn't mean that much, but I am not sure. So, for safety reasons I disablet UAC again and accept to have lost the win10-apps.