PWM - fan control with V1210 and EX-d16A3-TO16

Hi,

i'm trying to control a DC fan which needs a 25 kHz control signal. The control line is connected through the NPN output of an EX-D16A3-TO16 expansion module which is connected to a V1210.

But one thing isn't clear to me at the moment: The expansion module can send a frequency of 1Hz - 32 kHz. So a MI should be enough for the job. But when I look in the help file under "Configuring a High-speed Output (PWM) > Frequency (F)", it says that the Software Units of a V1210 are 0.1Hz (500Hz = 5,000). This would mean that an MI would not be enough because a value of 32,000 would mean I only send a frequency of 3,200 Hz, instead of 32,000 Hz. I cannot select an other operand than a MI, so can I not use this expansion module for sending out an 25kHz signal to my fan?

• MVP 2023
3 hours ago, thanswijk said:

But when I look in the help file under "Configuring a High-speed Output (PWM) > Frequency (F)", it says that the Software Units of a V1210 are 0.1Hz (500Hz = 5,000).

It says V120, not V1210 in that help entry you're referencing. I think the V120 is an older Vision model, not Enhanced Vision. Have you tried it to see if perhaps it outputs the PWM in units of 1 Hz instead of 0.1 Hz?

@Cara Bereck Levy, does the Help file need to be updated for this function?

• MVP 2023
11 minutes ago, Flex727 said:

Have you tried it to see if perhaps it outputs the PWM in units of 1 Hz instead of 0.1 Hz?

Empirical data is the best data.  The spec sheet says the module will go to 32 kHz, so I would hook one up and put a scope on it to verify this.  You can also send an email to support@unitronics.com to get clarification.

Joe T.

• MVP 2023

I respectfully disagree with Flex, in that I think thanswijk's interpretation is correct with the software units 0.1Hz, so 500Hz = 5000.  With a Range of 0.1 Hz to 100kHz.

412039915_122917-Jan-1908_21.gif.76f9e8c8074f2cfa02230e95a2a2c345.gif

But as Joe says, the module's HSO frequency is 1-500Hz at PNP, and 1Hz - 32kHz on NPN.  The one thing missing from all the info is how to drive it.  In theory it won't drive with the innate 1210's higher unit.  I tried a quick hardware config in Visi and it brings up an MI for the operand for the module's HSO frequency.  This implies that the module  is driven directly by an MI at 1Hz units, and I'd be going with this.

When I am in doubt, I always do a test bench mockup (as Joe suggests) to find an actual result of something theoretical.

cheers, Aus

Hi;

I got curious and hooked up a IO-D16A3-TO16 and tested the NPN  PWM Output

Frequency   in  MIxx  ( I used MI10)  set to 25,000 Hz.    Duty cycle to 500 (50.0%)

Scope shows a nice  40uS    squarewave   ( 25,000 Hz)     1.2K  load  on NPN Output

bit of a curve on the rising edge,  sharp  on the falling edge, little bit of jitter

Dan

Hi Cara;

You point out the PWM  for   Vision PLC's -  PWM is On Board     -- BUT ----

This point here  is for a PWM in an I/O Module   >>   IO-D16A3-TO16   and this is done in 1 Hz increments ( as tested)

also:                                                     >>  EX-D16A3-TO16

also :                                                  >>  EXF-RC15

An interesting note also about the PWM  in the Expansion --   There is      NO   MB Trigger Bit  Used

If these are in HELP  -- let us know where they are.  Search by PWM  does not show them

Dan

• MVP 2023

Cara, adding to Dan's good explanation, your very first red outline is the crux of the issue.  The modules do not use this rule, so there needs to be specific mention in their manuals of what you link them with.  I could find nothing that says it is a MI.  It is not a huge issue, but the information available is confusing.

cheers, Aus

• 2 years later...
On 1/22/2019 at 2:43 PM, DanT said:

[...]

An interesting note also about the PWM  in the Expansion --   There is      NO   MB Trigger Bit  Used

[...]

Dan

Hello everyone.

Sorry for digging up the topic.

I'm just programming a PWM on an EX-D16A3-TO16 extension... and I actually don't see any activation bit.

Should I consider that the activation is permanent, and that if I want an output at 0, I have to set the Duty Cycle to 0 ?

I don't have the material on hand, I program for on-site intervention. I can't test immediately.

5 hours ago, AlexUT said:

Some additional information:

All referred in help and in this post PWM frequencies are for on-board and snap-in modules, direct connected to PLC CPYU.

Expansion modules has 1 Hz step, and you have to follow IO module specification.

B.R.

Thank you for yout 2 answers.

I did see this part in the messages above. But a reminder can't hurt :)
Considering the changes I have to make to the existing program, I think I'll try to get the v350 I need.

V.B.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I just started testing with this pwm output on a static relay.
And I notice that with a duty cycle at 0, my output goes to a 1 logic  : 24Vdc.
I have to set a negative value to switch the output  to 0.

It's strange and unexpected. And not in accordance with the answer above.
I wonder if I'm doing something wrong?

Edit : I just noticed that the issue only occurs when the DC value goes directly from 1000 to 0.
A passage by an intermediate value does not produce this pb.
Therefore, I think it may be a bug ?

Edited by vincentBsef
Edit : New findings :

Hello.

After taking a new ex-d16a3-to13 on another v350 on a test bench, I could not reproduce the issue.
I then exchanged the 2 extensions and still can't reproduce this problem either on the bench or on the material in the machine.
So I dont' get what happened.  I'm pretty sure I didn't dream this, because I could repeat it on purpose.......

But now, I invalidate my previous statement about this bug.